- Windows Server 8 Developer preview released. Available for download
- Windows Server 8 “is the most ambitious server release since Server 2000”. Lots of streamlined features for multiplex NICs, virtualisation, storage, etc.
- Visual Studio 11 developer preview Web installer here: http://static.withinwindows.com/files/uploads/2011/09/en_visual_studio_11_developer_preview_web_installer_x86_x64_735607.exe
- TFS as a Service, hosted on Azure https://tfspreview.com/
- ASP.NET MVC4 developer preview http://haacked.com/archive/2011/09/14/asp-net-mvc-4-developer-preview-released.aspx
- .Net framework 4.5 developer preview also available for download
- The async framework is built into the Visual Studio 11 preview
- Can select a HTML DOM element, and visual studio will show you the code that generated it
- ASP.Net is smart enough to combine the .css files and run minification on combined file
- Visual Studio productivity tools is now built into Visual Studio 2011
- Mary Jo foley on Windows Server 8 details http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsofts-windows-server-8-taking-the-cloud-to-the-operating-system/10643
- highlights of Server 8 http://www.itworld.com/virtualization/203199/windows-server-8-highlights-upcoming-server-os
If you plan on watching it yourself, skip all the sections with Satya on stage. The bulk of the content is in the first sections with Scott Gutherie & Jason Zander. And then the preview of the new Server 8 stuff. The rest of the keynote after that is lots of talk with nothing said.
Skip to the end when Ballmer makes an appearance and talks about the Windows developer ecosystem.
Satya comes on stage - President of windows server & tools
Going to talk about the "backend windows platform. Windows Server 8, Azure & Visual Studio
Yesterday they talked a lot about connected services. All of the apps deployed to Win 8 are constantlyhitting services in the cloud
This means web back ends need to be able to scale (Azure)
Identity federation is important
Hybrid infrastructure, Windows Server 8 + Azure...
Just A LOT of waffle manager speak on why services and scale are important
Jason Zander comes on stage. President of Visual Studio
Going to build a game that connects to cloud services
Demos the game by loading It up on the PC
Sends a game request to his friend
Friend is on a Windows Phone 7 and gets the game request
Plays the game together, with the game commands going through Azure
Then shows a version of the game written in C++ and using directx
Jason zander comes back on stage
But how does ALM come into this? (hint TFS)
Putting TFS into the cloud on Azure
Scott guthrie comes on stage
Going to walk through how to build an ASP.Net app that can hook into the same services that the game did.
He replaces the .CSS file to make it more like the tank game
But the site.css is gone, and only added 2 new .css files
ASP.Net is smart enough to combine the .css files and run minification on combined file
Jason Zander comes back on stage
Satya back on stage
Announcing Windows Server 8 Developer preview
Took a lot of the learnings from Azure and bring them back into Server 8
UGH, Satya just waffles on for another 10 minutes with buzzword waffle. I am just tuning out again
Bryon Sauce on stage to talk about Windows Server 8
Going to focus on storage, networking and vitualisation
Traditionally used to take some very specialised skills to manage big storage file servers
No need for special RAID drives, etc.
He has 16 SSD drives connect configured as a JBOD. All managed by windows.
You don't need a phd in storage. Just connect them all and add the role.
The files are shared with the new SMB2.2 protocol
NIC can now be multiplexed and combined together.
Demonstrates it by creating 2 virtual machines
Show the performance of a single 1Gb ethernet connection, vs. multiplexing many of them
Under the covers it de-duplicates the data.
Multiple VHDs that are stored on the server wil be de-duplicated. Makes them go from multiple GBs each, to just a few KB each
Satya back on stage
*braces self for the Satya buzzword rant*
Going to focus on Azure now
Satya announce that you can build AND consume data *gasp*
John Shewchuk comes on stage
Going to talk about Azure Identity, data market, etc.
The credential vault is syncable.
So you sign in on your PC, then pick up your tablet. The credentials have been synced across, so the tablet just logs straight in.
All of the demos are available in the Windows Azure toolkit for windows 8 download
Satyr back on stage
Invites 2 Channel 9 guys on stage to demo Viper
Viper Smart start for your car. http://www.viper.com/
Allows you to locate, start, lock, unlock all from the cloud
Can get telemetry on your car
Behind the scenes it is using Azure table
Http REST calls, etc
CEO of West Coast Customs comes on stage
Microsoft & west coast customs are going to build the ULTIMATE car together.
Will be documented on the Discovery channel in December.
Heads up display, augmented reality, etc.
Satyr back on stage
Steve Ballmer comes on stage
Windows Server 8 is the most ambitious server release since Server 2000.
Lots of excitement about it in the IT pro sector
Office 365 is a dev opportunity. Extending Sharepoint, etc.
Microsoft is in 7 businesses. Phone, pc, tablets, tv devices, cloud platform, productivity, search, ERP and CRM
Each of the businesses are moving to the cloud
Retooling everything to take it to the cloud
Is a time of unprecedented developer opportunity
Never been a better time to have software development as a skill
"There's nothing on the planet that will ship 350 million units of anything (this year), other than Windows"
"it’s the day and age of the Microsoft developer"