A short while ago, Damian Edwards released Visual Studio 2008 XHTML 1.1 templates on CodePlex that gave you a “set of item and project templates for ASP.NET developers using Visual Studio 2008 that provide XHTML 1.1 compliant alternatives to the standard web form and master page templates”. This is a great starting point to ensure that your new websites start off on the right foot by providing a set of files (web forms, master page, stylesheets, etc.) that are preconfigured to be XHTML 1.1 strict compliant.
I decided that since this is such a great thing that I’d re-release the template as a Windows Azure Web Role, meaning that you can all create new cloud services that start off as being XHTML 1.1 compliant.
I didn’t mess about creating a fancy installer, so you’ll have to do 2 things.
- download the file and place it into the visual studio Azure template folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Cloud Service\Roles or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Cloud Service\Roles if you are on x64)
- Start the visual studio 2008 command prompt in administrator mode and type ‘devenv /installvstemplates’
Using the template
- Create a new blank cloud service
- In the solution explorer, right click the roles folder and add a new “web role project”
- The “Add a new project” window will appear and the new Web Role (XHTML 1.1) template should be there ready to use!
- Read the FAQ on codeplex for the template. You'll have to modify one of the references to use the CSSfriendll.dll